Surfing in Cornwall
Discover Britain's best surfing beaches
Surfing in Cornwall
Welcome to the surfing capital of the United Kingdom. The Cornish peninsula juts into the Atlantic and receives reliable swells throughout the year. There are a collection of beaches with superb surfing conditions. Fistral and the Cribbar reef are world class and attract surfers from around the world.
The ideal time of year to surf in Cornwall is autumn. The waters are still warm, the ocean swells are more consistent, and you will have more of the beach to yourself.
We can provide transportation, accommodation, tuition and equipment.
A magnet for swell
Here are the top six surfing beaches in Cornwall;
- The most formidable surfing patch must surely be The Cribbar (reef near Fistral) off the Towan Headland, near Newquay. Waves sizes can be over 30 ft or 9.1 m, so not for the faint-hearted and you can understand why the reef is known as the widow-maker.
- The most famous strand to surf is Fistral Beach, Newquay. This location is hectic during the summer months, and the waves are reliable and up to around 8 ft. The Fistral Boardmasters is the prestigious annual competition drawing the biggest names in surfing from across the globe. The event also puts on four days of live music, after parties and camping facilities.
- Polzeath Beach, Padstow produces a gentle wave owing to the gradual shelving and sheltered position of the bay. Therefore, pretty good for beginners.
- Porthtowan Beach is a cracker with fast hollow waves. Backed by golden dunes and dramatic cliffs, Porthtowan is a superb beach. Finish the day with a stop at the Blue Bar beach bar and kitchen.
- Praa Sands Beach, Helston is probably the best spot on the south coast and outstanding during the winter months. The beach is large, so you can even find a quiet place during the summer months.
- Sennen Beach is one of the most exposed being right on the western tip of Britain, facing the Atlantic full head-on. There is a wide range of wave conditions, and the beach is beautiful.
If you love the coast, you will love Cornwall with its four hundred beaches to discover all of which you can surf, in theory. Even if you are new to surfing, we can include Surf Lessons in your private tour of Cornwall. We will arrange all the equipment hire. Here is a link to our suggested itinerary; The Family Experience of Cornwall Tour. An alternative itinerary is our suggested England's South Coast itinerary. In any event, our Tour Designers will create and tailor your vacation to Cornwall based on your preferences.
Cornwall has a vast number of high-spec holiday homes, traditional cottages and boutique hotels. We recommend a luxury holiday (vacation) home for five nights or more and a coastal boutique hotel for shorter stays. In any event, our Tour Designers will recommend the right place to stay based on your preferences, itinerary, dates and time.
The Carbis Bay Hotel
The Carbis Bay Hotel has a much-admired location and is a short hop from many great surfing beaches. The hotel has beach lodges, suites, houses and cottages. Spend time at the spa and enjoy deep tissue massage after a long day surfing.
Enjoy your sailing? Check in to Hotel Tresanton, with subtropical planting and a NEW beach club. Cottage style accommodation cling to the slopes behind the main building; all have lovely views across the bay of St Mawes.
The Idle Rocks Hotel
A short walk from the Tresanton is the Relais & Chateaux affiliated Idle Rocks Hotel. Rooms look over the harbour, town or out to sea - the restaurant directed by chef Dorian Janmaat of Le Manoir fame and Raymond Blancs number two. As you can imagine, the abundance of fresh fish and top quality local produce is used to create European and modern British dishes, all elegantly presented.
The Boskerris Hotel
The Boskerris is a petite Mediterranean inspired hotel with only 15 rooms. The hotel is highly acclaimed and is one of our favourite Cornish gems to stay. The restaurant is unfussy, and the view of Carbis Bay and St Ives is truly special.
The Rick Stein Collection
Padstow is, without a doubt, a foody village. Bakers, high-end cafes, fish and chips, Cornish pasties and high-end dining. Britain’s well-known sea-food (fish) chef Rick Stein owns several properties in Padstow, all with fabulous restaurants.
The Padstow Townhouse
Hot competition comes from the Padstow Townhouse owned by chef Paul Ainsworth, a prodigy of Gordon Ramsay and Marcus Wareing.
There are so many places of great note, too many to mention here, but it is a start. Contact our Tour Designers now and discover Cornwall and England’s wild west.
Help us make your trip exceptional
Our UK, EU and US office-based staff will listen to what you want to see and experience.
Whether you are a honeymoon couple, a family or a corporate incentive group, our team’s collective resources will be brought together to build the experience that’s right for you.
We will require your arrival and departure dates, details of your personal preferences and places that you would like to visit as well as the events you would like to experience.
We will then prepare a draft itinerary and send it to you by email for your approval. Once agreed, we will send you a Booking Confirmation with Personalised Itinerary and Information Pack via email.
From the UK: +44(0)20 8669 3666
FREE from Canada or the USA: 1-888-472-1799
Email: [email protected]